CAYSTON® (aztreonam for inhalation solution) Dosing and Administration
Fast nebulization and flexible dosing
See below for how CAYSTON can fit into a patient's schedule
Nebulization typically takes 2-3 minutes,* 3 times daily, and at least 4 hours apart.
*This 2-3 minute estimate does not include setting up, cleaning, and disinfecting the Altera® nebulizing equipment.
Patients should place the nebulizer on a flat, stable surface and sit in an upright, comfortable position while administering CAYSTON.
Dosage and Administration of CAYSTON
- CAYSTON should be administered 3 times a day for a 28-day course (followed by 28 days off CAYSTON therapy)
- CAYSTON should only be administered using the Altera Nebulizer System and should not be administered with any other nebulizer
- The Altera Nebulizer Handset should be cleaned after each use and disinfected before it’s used again10
- Patients should use a bronchodilator before each dose of CAYSTON
- Patients taking several inhaled medications should be advised to use the medications in the following order of administration: bronchodilator, mucolytics, and lastly, CAYSTON
- Patients should be advised to complete the full 28-day course of CAYSTON even if they are feeling better
- CAYSTON does not need to be refrigerated in the 28 days after the pack has been opened
For more information, download the CAYSTON Dosing and Administration Guide.
Storage of CAYSTON
Refrigeration/storage of CAYSTON: CAYSTON vial and diluent ampules should be stored in the refrigerator at 2 °C to 8 °C (36 °F to 46 °F) until needed. Once removed from the refrigerator, CAYSTON and diluent may be stored at room temperature (up to 25 °C/77 °F) for up to 28 days. Do not separate the CAYSTON vials from the diluent ampules. CAYSTON should be protected from light.
To take treatments away from home, refer your patients to sign up for a protective and convenient CAYSTON carrying case here.