Fast nebulization and flexible dosing
Nebulization typically takes 2-3 minutes,* 3 times daily, and at least 4 hours apart.
*This 2-3 minute estimate does not include setting up, cleaning, and disinfecting the ALTERA® nebulizing equipment.
See below for how CAYSTON can fit into a patient's schedule
Patients should place the nebulizer on a flat, stable surface and sit in an upright, comfortable position while administering CAYSTON.
Dosage and Administration of CAYSTON
- CAYSTON should be administered 3 times a day for a 28-day course (followed by 28 days off CAYSTON therapy)
- CAYSTON should only be administered using the ALTERA Nebulizer System and should not be administered with any other nebulizer
- The ALTERA Nebulizer Handset should be cleaned after each use and disinfected before it’s used again11
- Patients should use a bronchodilator before each dose of CAYSTON
- Patients taking several inhaled medications should be advised to use the medications in the following order of administration: bronchodilator, mucolytics, and lastly, CAYSTON
- Patients should be advised to complete the full 28-day course of CAYSTON even if they are feeling better
- CAYSTON does not need to be refrigerated in the 28 days after the pack has been opened
"The flexibility of dosing allows us to plan our inhaled antibiotics around our busy and active lifestyle; as long as we take 3 doses a day, at least 4 hours apart, we are able to incorporate it into our routine."
Read about how real patients and caregivers like Kat and her son Quinn fit CAYSTON into their travel plans.
Storage of CAYSTON
Refrigeration/storage of CAYSTON: CAYSTON vial and diluent ampules should be stored in the refrigerator at 2 °C to 8 °C (36 °F to 46 °F) until needed. Once removed from the refrigerator, CAYSTON and diluent may be stored at room temperature (up to 25 °C/77 °F) for up to 28 days. Do not separate the CAYSTON vials from the diluent ampules. CAYSTON should be protected from light.
To take treatments away from home, refer your patients to sign up for a protective and convenient CAYSTON carrying case here.